Spring Common School District and Harrell Common School District consolidated and became the Spring Independent School District. By adding science, foreign language and the eleventh grade, the district achieved accreditation, which made students eligible to enter college directly, something they had previously been unable to do.
Southwell School served the African-American students in the old Spring community from the early 1900s until it was integrated in 1966. The school was named after Mr. W. M. Southwell who served as principal from 1925 to 1945. Southwell School was located at the site of the current B. F. Clark Park.
In 1932, the Wunsche family donated 13 acres of land for a school site on Spring-Cypress Road, with the stipulation the school be named for their ancestor, Carl Wunsche. Wunsche school opened for middle and high school students. In 1947, an addition to the building included elementary students until 1958. Wunsche Middle School served as the District’s first middle school from 1969-1983. The facility was renovated to operate as the Multi-Purpose Wunsche School.
The first elementary school built in the district, named Spring Elementary, was located on Wunsche Loop and named for the community. It was also the first school facility to be air-conditioned.
Bammel Elementary was the first school built on the west side of the district and the second elementary in the District. Bammel Elementary School and Bammel Middle School were named for the Charley Bammel Family, some of the earliest pioneers to the FM 1960 area. A two-story replacement school was built at the site and opened in 2010.
Spring High School, named for the community, is located on I-45N, Spring. One of the reasons for the chosen location was that motorists traveling on I-45 would be able to see the high school.
Ponderosa Elementary’s name is derived from the subdivision in which it is located. It was the third elementary school built by the District and is one of only three two-story elementary schools in Spring ISD.
Bammel Middle School was the second middle school built in the District. Named after the Bammel community whose namesake, Charley Bammel, moved his family to the area from Houston in 1915, the first facility was located at 1500 Southridge. In January 2004, the school relocated to a new building at 16711 Ella Blvd.
Winship Elementary school is a legacy to John Winship, Superintendent of Spring ISD from 1939 until his death in 1973. During those 34 years, Mr. Winship was an American history teacher, civics teacher, woodshop teacher, boys/girls coach, bus driver, building engineer, driver’s education instructor, and part-time janitor.
Built in 1973, Oak Creek Elementary’s name was derived from the subdivision in which it is located. In 2005, the school’s name was changed to Pat Reynolds in recognition of the longtime administrator’s many years of dedicated service to Spring ISD, including 24 years as principal of Oak Creek.
Jenkins Elementary was named in honor of Mildred Jenkins, who served as Spring ISD school nurse for 26 years until she retired in 1974. In 1959, the same year Spring started playing football, Mrs. Jenkins became a full-time nurse to the District and served as the team “doctor.”
Meyer Elementary was named to honor two members of the same family, Otto H. Meyer and Avalt H. Meyer, father and son, who together served more than 35 years on the Board of Trustees. Otto Meyer served on the Board beginning in the mid 1920s and continued through the mid 1930s. Avalt Meyer began his service in 1946 and served more than 24 years.
Known today as Westfield, in 1976 Spring High freshmen and sophomores moved into a new building called Spring High South. In 1981-1982, Spring High South became a full four-year high school and changed its name to Westfield, in honor of the old Westfield community.
Wells Middle School was named to honor Edwin M. Wells for serving as a trustee for six years and as board president for four years. According to many community leaders at that time, Mr. Wells cared enough to work many of his spare hours seeing that the District was one of the most successful and progressive districts in the nation.
Hirsch Elementary was named for Pearl M. Hirsch, a Spring ISD teacher for 33 years. Mrs. Hirsch joined the Spring staff in 1935. Before that she taught 14 years in the Tomball- Klein area. Mrs. Hirsch’s daughter, Mrs. Inez Tanner, was a Spring high graduate who came back to teach in the Spring schools. For 11 years, they served on the same faculty at Spring Elementary. Together, Mrs. Hirsch and Mrs. Tanner served the district for a total of 55 years.
Anderson Elementary is named for former Trustee, George Anderson. Mr. Anderson’s term of service lasted from 1969-1978. He served five of those years as president and one year as vice president. During 1967-1968, Mr. Anderson also served as president of the Spring Athletic Booster Club and was a member of the Spring Band Boosters Club. He and his wife, Jean, were the first organizers of the Spring High School PTA in 1969-1970.
Dueitt Middle School was named for O. B. Dueitt, the descendant of a family that first settled in Spring around 1876. Dueitt’s five children went to Spring schools. He served as a Spring ISD Trustee from 1943-1965. All four of his daughters taught in the Spring schools. His son’s wife also taught in the district.
Link Elementary was named for Joan Link, one-time secretary to the Spring ISD Superintendent and the Board of Trustees, and active volunteer in PTA and booster clubs. In 1964, Mrs. Link took the position as full-time secretary in the superintendent’s office, which at the time handled all district administration functions. Later, when the duties were divided due to the District’s growth, Mrs. Link became the first secretary to the board of trustees. She retired in 1982, having served for 20 years.
Twin Creeks is named for the creeks between which it is located, Spring Creek on the north and Cypress Creek on the south. Tradition plays an important part at Twin Creeks. The faculty and student body brought a history of success and achievement with them from their former Wunsche Middle School.
In 1986, Spring Elementary was renamed for J. O. Salyers and Gertie Mae Salyers. Mr. Salyers served as a trustee from 1938 to 1956. Mrs. Salyers’ most significant contributions were through the PTA. She served as president even before her children attended school, while they were in school and again as a grandmother. She served as a Spring ISD election judge for more than 40 years. In 2003, a new Salyers Elementary School was constructed at 25705 Hardy Street. The old building was torn down to make room for new construction at Carl Wunsche Sr. High School.
Beneke Elementary is named for former Spring ISD Superintendent Dr. Joseph S. Beneke. Dr. Beneke joined the district in 1970 as director of curriculum and instruction, was named assistant superintendent in 1971 and served as superintendent from 1973-1980.
The school is named for Lewis Eugene Smith who served the District as a business teacher and principal of Spring High from 1939-1942 and 1946-1968. Mr. Smith was an assistant superintendent until his retirement in 1971.
Clark Elementary was named after B. F. Clark, a former Spring ISD teacher, coach, bus driver, counselor, textbook custodian and principal. The school is now called Clark Primary and serves pre-kindergarten through second-grade students. Mr. Clark began his 28-year career with the District in 1951. After his retirement in 1979, Mr. Clark continued to be active in the community. He served as an election judge for District trustee and bond elections and on the advisory committee that developed the district’s first five-year educational plan.
Thompson Elementary was named after former trustee, Deloras Thompson. Mrs. Thompson served on the board of trustees from 1983-1995. During that time she served on all board committees and in all office roles, including two terms as president. She was a teacher and girls’ coach in the Spring district from 1959-1964. As a parent, she was a worker, organizer and supporter in the athletic, bond, and FFA booster clubs. Before the trustee service, she served on the advisory committee that developed the District’s first five-year educational plan. After retirement from the board of trustees, she served as chairman of the advisory committee that developed the current five-year educational plan.
Spring ISD’s show barn was named to honor the L.C. Nagy family. An organizer and promoter of the Spring Tri-Club, Mr. Nagy served as the first Tri-Club president and gave approximately 30 animals to students to encourage participation in the show. From 1953- 1965, Mr. Nagy served on the Spring ISD Board of Trustees. He is known for his motion allowing students to attend and sponsor a prom.
Richard C. Crain Fine Arts Facility is located on the campus of Spring High School at 19428 I-45 North. The facility was named in honor of Richard Crain who directed Spring ISD award-winning bands at Spring and Westfield High Schools prior to being named director of music. Under his direction, the band and choral programs of Spring ISD became worldrenowned. Mr. Crain’s honors include being inducted into the Texas Band Masters Hall of Fame and being named Outstanding Music Educator for Texas by the National Federation of Interscholastic Music Associations. He retired following 21 years of service to Spring ISD.
Leonard George Stadium, located behind Spring High School at 19428 I-45 North, was named in honor of Leonard George. Mr. George’s tenure with Spring ISD extended for 26 years. During that time he served as defensive coordinator, Spring High School head football coach and district athletic director from 1980 until his retirement in May 2000.
The District’s 15th elementary school is located at 12255 T. C. Jester. The name pays tribute to the area and symbolizes the diversity of the students’ heritages.
Spring ISD’s administration building, located at 16717 Ella Blvd. was renamed the Gordon M. Anderson Leadership Center in honor of the educator who led the District from May 1981 through June 1997. His spirit established Spring ISD as the “People Place.” Dr. Anderson established the District’s first five-year education plan as a part of the district management system.
B. F. Clark Intermediate School, located at 1825 Rushworth, opened in August 2003. Clark Intermediate School is located across the street from B. F. Clark Primary School. Both schools are named after B. F. Clark, whose career with Spring ISD extended for 28 years. Clark Intermediate educates students in third through fifth grade.
The District’s fifth middle school, located at 3000 Spears, was named for Stelle Claughton Lacefield, a longtime educator and administrator with a career spanning forty-two years. Stelle’s service to Spring schools includes teacher, counselor, principal of Bammel Middle School and Spring High South, assistant superintendent of personnel services, support services and community relations. Mrs. Lacefield is an active member of the Spring ISD Education Foundation board as well as regional, state and national professional associations.
The Spring ISD Police Department was established in 1991 under the command of Chief Alan Bragg and located at 15330 Kuykendahl and recently celebrated its 20th anniversary. In 2003, a new command facility and state-of-the art technology communication center was dedicated at 210 North Forest Blvd. The Spring ISD Police Department has garnered national acclaim. Tours are frequently requested and conducted for representatives and administrators from school districts across the nation.
Opened and dedicated on April 1, 2003, the Westfield Performing Arts Center had been a dream of the Westfield Fine Arts Department for 20 years. The centerpiece of the PAC, is a state-of-the-art performance hall with 1,199 permanent seats. In 2005 the facility was renamed to honor Philip K. Geiger for 22 years as director of bands at Westfield High School.
The school was named after Chet Burchett, a member of the Spring ISD Board of Trustees for nine years beginning in 1993. In addition to his years as a board member, Mr. Burchett contributed to the District by volunteering time and leadership to the first Project Prom program at Westfield High School and establishing a Fellowship of Christian Athletes chapter at Westfield. He may be best known as the “Voice of the Mustangs” for the commentary he provided while serving for seven years as the announcer for Westfield football games.
The school is named after Milton Cooper, a retired Spring ISD administrator. Cooper’s service to Spring schools includes serving as the first principal of Bammel Middle School, director of elementary and middle schools, director of elementary schools, assistant superintendent of elementary schools, assistant superintendent of curriculum and instruction and principal of Meyer Elementary School.
An access road located between Burchett Elementary and Bailey Middle School is named James C. Leo Drive after a former school administrator. James Leo retired after serving 22 years for the District as executive director of facility management and security and assistant superintendent of support services.
Located across from the Chet Burchett Elementary School, on James C. Leo Dr., the school is named after Rickey C. Bailey. Mr. Bailey served 15 years on the Spring ISD Board of Trustees beginning in 1982. During his years on the board, he helped develop the fiveyear education plan, which is still being used by the District. After retiring from the board in 1998, Mr. Bailey continued to volunteer his time and leadership by serving on the Citizens Advisory Board, the bond committee and the Education Foundation Board.
The school is named after Donna Lewis who has been a volunteer in Spring ISD for 33 years. Mrs. Lewis has served as a member of the Spring ISD Career and Technology Education Advisory Board for 23 years and the CTE Scholarship Luncheon committee for 14 years. She is a charter member of the Spring ISD Education Foundation and has served 12 years with the foundation as a director and executive board member. Ms. Lewis has been active with Spring Tri-Club and founded the Westfield Future Farmers of America Booster Club.
The school is named after Ginger McNabb. Mrs. McNabb shared her love of students, her talent for teaching and her ability to lead with several campuses in Spring ISD before her life was cut short by cancer in 1996. She taught at Bammel and Winship elementary schools from 1980 to 1986, served as assistant principal at Hirsch Elementary from 1986-1992 and as assistant principal at Dueitt Middle School from 1992-1996.
Carl Wunsche Sr. High School, a career academy for students in grades 10-12, opened in August 2006 at 900 Wunsche Loop. The new 273,000 square-foot building replaced an older school that was built and dedicated in 1939 on land donated by the family of Carl Wunsche Sr. The innovative campus is designed around three towers – professional, technology and medical – in which academics are integrated with career exploration and college preparation in a wireless learning environment. The school accommodates approximately 1,500 students from Dekaney, Spring and Westfield high schools who apply to attend the campus where they may select a career pathway in 42 areas of study. The campus design has won numerous state, national and international awards.
The school is named after Andy Dekaney a former board of trustees member who was first elected in 1987. During his years on the board, Mr. Dekaney served six years as president, three as vice president and two as secretary. In addition, he was a member of the Spring ISD Education Foundation Board and volunteered his time and energy to school activities including Westfield’s Project Prom and the Band Booster Club.
The school is named after Carolee Booker Jordan King, an educator who taught in Spring schools for 32 years. The namesake has been described as a multi-talented, lifelong learner who made a positive impact in the district as a reading specialist, girls’ basketball coach, choir director and dance team instructor. She taught at Spring Junior High School, Spring Elementary School and Link Elementary School before retiring in 1987.
The school is named for the Northgate Crossing neighborhood, which is located in the on the northernmost edge of the Spring ISD boundary near I-45 and Hardy Toll Road.
The school is named after long-time educator Helen Major who began her career in 1973. She taught elementary students in New York and Louisiana prior to coming to Spring ISD in 1979 as a teacher at Anderson Elementary School and later in 1988 as a teacher at Link Elementary. She became the assistant principal at Clark Elementary in 1996 and was named the principal there in January 2000. In January of 2003 Major opened the new Clark Intermediate School as principal where she served till she retired in 2008.
The school is named after a former music teacher in Spring ISD, Ralph Eickenroht, who was hired by the district in 1958 to start a districtwide band program. That program, which began with 118 students, grew to include three high schools and six middle schools, and achieved numerous state and national awards along the way. During his years as an employee, Eickenroht served in many capacities. As the first band director at Spring High, he wrote the words to the SHS alma mater.
The school is named after Dr. R.J. Hoyland III who served on the Spring ISD Board of Trustees from 1974 though 1983. A highly respected veterinarian in Spring before he retired, Hoyland is remembered for his support of the Spring Tri-Club, an organization that represents students involved in FFA, FCCLA and 4-H.
A career academy that focuses on math, science and the fine arts, this school is the first middle school of choice in Spring ISD. It is located at 1500 Southridge, the facility that first housed Bammel Middle School and then the Westfield Ninth Grade Center. It is named after Dr. Edward Roberson, a man who made significant contributions to the development and administration of healthcare in the North Houston area for nearly four decades. Dr. Roberson was chairman of the management committee that was instrumental in establishing the Houston Northwest Medical Center on what was then called Jack Rabbit Road. Since its completion in 1973, HNMC has grown to become North Houston’s largest full-service tertiary care hospital, with much credit going to Roberson who served as the hospital’s first chief of staff and as chairman of the board until his death in 2005.
The District’s first “green” facility, this school was designed to achieve Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design gold certification. It is names after Gloria Marshall joined the District in August 1974 as a teacher at Spring Elementary School. Mrs. Marshall became principal at Jenkins Elementary School in 1982, and in 1985 she began her long career as principal at Spring High School. She remained there until 2007 when she was selected to serve as the new principal induction coordinator for Spring ISD.