Certification Information
Human Resources
Out-of-State Teaching Certificate
The Texas State Board for Educator Certification (SBEC) will issue a Texas One-Year Certificate to those educators holding a valid teaching certificate from another state. Application for an evaluation of credentials and issuance of a Texas One-Year Certificate should be made through SBEC. The toll free number is 1-888-863-5880 and the website is
Alternative Certification Programs
Alternative Certification Programs (ACP) are designed for persons who have a Bachelor’s degree but do not have teacher certification. Spring ISD will only consider alternative certification candidates who have been accepted into an approved ACP program, submit their letter of acceptance from the entity with a target certification area listed and for those candidates in the core academic areas submit a copy of their succesful content exam to be considered for employment. Spring ISD works closely with several ACP programs in the area:
Region IV Education Service Center
Prairie View A&M University
Sam Houston State University
University of Houston – Downtown
Lone Star Colleges ATCP
Texas A&M University
Web-Centric Alternative Certification Program
Texas Teachers of Tomorrow
act*rgv* houston
940-464-7447 (accredited distance learning program – totally on-line)
Please check with the program of your choice for information regarding application to the program and certification areas offered. Most programs offer information sessions for eligibility, program requirements and costs.
Emergency Teaching Permit
Due to No Child Left Behind (NCLB) requirements, Spring ISD will not consider candidates in the NCLB core academic subject areas under an Emergency Teaching Permit based on a Deficiency Plan.
No Degree
Individuals interested in teaching but who do not possess a Bachelor’s degree should go to the university of their choice with a teacher education program and have a degree plan done. There are many universities in our area that offer teaching certification programs. University of Houston , University of Houston – Downtown, Houston Baptist University , Prairie View A&M University , Sam Houston State University , University of St. Thomas and Texas A&M University are area colleges that offer teacher education programs that lead to teaching certification.
Spring Independent School District | 16717 Ella Blvd. | Houston, Texas 77090 | Phone: 281-891-6000 | Fax: 281-891-6006 | Contact Us
powered by netStartEnterpriseTM