Spring Independent School District
Credit by Examination (CBE) for Acceleration & Credit Recovery
Grades 8 – 12 General Guidelines
Exams for Initial Credit will be conducted in October and February and Exams for Credit Recovery will be conducted in June and July. General guidelines for testing are included in the current year Spring ISD High School and Middle School Program of Studies. Examination for Acceleration (EA) are given to students that have not had any prior instruction in a given course or subject and Credit by Exam for Credit Recovery (CBE) are given to students that have had prior instruction in a given course or subject.
- LOTE CBE August 25-31, 2020 (Application Deadline 8/24/20)
- Non-LOTE CBE September 21 - 25, 2020 (Application Deadline 9/1/20)
- LOTE CBE January 14-22, 2021 (Application Deadline 1/11/21)
- Non-LOTE CBE February 8-12, 2021 (Application Deadline 1/15/21)
- June 16 & 17, 2021 (Application Deadline 3/22/2021)
Students may not test in any course in which they are currently enrolled. Students may not test in any course tied to a STAAR End-of-Course (EOC) examination.
- Students may not test for any course in which they lost credit due to excessive absences.
- A student is only permitted two attempts at earning credit through examination in a given subject and may not make any attempt after the time he would ordinarily be enrolled in the course.
- Students seeking credit recovery for a course must score 70% or above. Students must score 80% or above to obtain initial credit.
- Students must submit the completed application form to their counselor, including parent signature by the deadline. The student’s counselor will review the application to ensure that he/she meets all the stated criteria for initial credit or credit recovery.
- Approval letters and grade reports will be mailed to the parent at the address provided on the application form. If letters and/or grades are returned undeliverable, the CBE Coordinator will contact the student and/or parent.
- There will be no make-up sessions for any CBE. All tests will be administered on the assigned date. If a problem does arise, please contact your counselor or campus CBE Coordinator immediately.
- Study guides can be found on the SISD website at: /site/Default.aspx?PageID=1148
- All students will need to have some form of picture ID when they check-in for the CBE assessment.
- Art I CBE - A portfolio must be submitted at the time of examination. See Part 5 or Art 1 Study Guide.
- Students taking Professional Communications will have performance components as well as a written test. The performance test for Professional Communications will be given the week following testing. You will sign-up to give your speeches once you’ve passed the written test. (Dates will be provided upon receipt of passing written results) Credit will be given only for passing BOTH the written and the skills tests.
- Score reports are generally available 3-4 weeks after testing. Score reports are mailed to parents by campuses.
- There is no fee for Credit by Exam testing.
If you have questions or need additional information, please contact your school counselor.