• Are You Ready to Retire?

    Information about your retirement through Texas Retirement System (TRS) of Texas can be found below. 

    I’m thinking about retirement, where do I start?

    1. Register for MyTRS

    TRS has made it easier than ever to plan for retirement and access your TRS information. Click here to register for MyTRS

    MyTRS also offers active members an opportunity to calculate retirement annuity estimates online with their individual data obtained from TRS records. Registering for MyTRS will be very useful as you are going through the retirement process.

    Read pertinent TRS information on the retirement process. Click here to read about planning your retirement with TRS


    2. Call TRS at 800-223-8778 to make sure you are eligible to retire.

    Click here for TRS eligibility requirements


    3. Submit request for a retirement estimate and packet.

    Click here to log in to MyTRS and request a retirement estimate

    Click here to request a retirement estimate without logging in to MyTRS (PDF)


    4. Once you receive your retirement estimate and packet, follow the instructions in your packet. Use the TRS Retirement Checklist to make sure you complete all necessary forms.

    Click here for TRS Retirement Checklist (PDF)


    Other helpful hints to get you started:

    • Read your annual statement from TRS, which is mailed to you in October/November. Your annual statement can also be found on MyTRS. If you feel there is an error on your annual statement, contact TRS at 800-223-8778.
    • Verify your beneficiary, address, and other personal information with TRS. This can be done by logging in to MyTRS.
    • Review the TRS website for their suggestions on what to do before retirement:

    TRS Things to do before Retirement

    TRS Planning your Retirement


    What does Spring ISD need from me?

    1.  Resignation letter with your signature

    As soon as you have decided to retire, turn in your resignation letter to your principal/supervisor. Please include your date of retirement and your last day of work. TRS requires the date of retirement to be the last day of the month regardless of your last day of work. Your last day of work cannot be later than your retirement date with the exception of the first two weeks of June. For example, if you are planning on retiring at the end of your contract on June 15th, TRS will allow you to submit May 31st as your retirement date (that is the only exception). Please discuss your retirement date options with TRS by calling 800-223-8778.


    2.  TRS Form 7: “Notice of Final Deposit Before Retirement”

    This form is included in your TRS packet. You must turn this form in to the SPRING ISD Payroll Department. The District will send the form to TRS after you receive your final paycheck. This form cannot be sent to TRS prior to your final paycheck. For questions regarding the status of your TRS Form 7, you may contact the Spring ISD Payroll Department at 281-891-6095.


    Final Considerations

    • Ensure the payroll department has a correct forwarding address for you.
    • Make sure you return the following items on your last day at work:
    • Keys and Access Cards
    • ID badges, uniforms, tools and equipment
    • Electronic devices, such as laptops, computers, etc.
    • Complete the Exit Interview Survey

    What do I need to know about benefits?

    1.  When do my SPRING ISD benefits end?

    If you are currently participating in the District insurance benefits, your coverage will end on the last day of that month you resign (unless you resign at the end of your contract and then TRS lets you keep your insurance through August 31).

    To find out when your last paycheck will be, call the Payroll Department at 281-891-6095.


    2.  Can I have health insurance coverage after I retire?

    Yes, health insurance is available through TRS-Care for retirees who have at least ten years of service with TRS. Click here to find out more about TRS-Care

    If ineligible for TRS-Care, you will be eligible for health insurance through COBRA, an rates will remain the same as current ActiveCare rates, minus the district’s contributions and with an additional 2% administration fee. COBRA coverage will only be available for 18 months and it is administered by WellSystems at 1-844-752-5146. A packet will be mailed to you shortly after leaving the District.


    3.  Can I have dental and vision insurance coverage after I retire?

    Yes, both are available through COBRA at current rates plus 2% administration fee. It is also available for 18 months and is administered by First Financial at 281-847-8422. A packet will be mailed to you shortly after leaving the District.


    4.  How will my TRS retirement benefits affect my Social Security benefits?

    Your TRS retirement benefits will likely result in a reduction in your Social Security benefits. Click on www.ssa.gov

    If you have any questions related to Social Security benefits, call Social Security Administration at (800) 772-1213.

    There are two specific publications that may be of importance to you:

    Government Pension Offset - SSA Publication No. 05-10007

    Windfall Elimination Provision - SSA Publication No. 05-10045


    5.  How will my TRS health insurance benefits affect my Medicare benefits?

    You should apply for Medicare during your initial enrollment period with Medicare, which begins three months before the month of your 65th birthday. To enroll in Medicare, contact Social Security Administration at (800) 772-1213.

    If you have any questions related to Medicare benefits, call 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227) to order free Medicare publications, and they will be mailed to you. You can expect to receive them within 3 weeks.

    You can also go to the Medicare Publications Website to view or download current free Medicare publications.

    To best determine how TRS-Care will interact with Medicare, go to the following TRS Websites: FAQs: TRS-Care


    Where can I get more information?

    • Schedule a meeting with a TRS representative in Austin by calling 800-223-8778.
    • Attend a Houston area general meeting by contacting Region IV at:  Region IV ESC 7145 West Tidwell Road Houston, TX 77092 713-462-7708 www.esc4.net

    Additional group benefits presentations are available at https://oapi.trs.state.tx.us/OSSA/do/requestPresentations or by calling TRS at 800-223-8778.

    Keep in mind that you should not rely on information provided to you by another retiree or co-worker. Your retirement/resignation status may not be the same as another retiree or you may have retired at a different time than your fellow retiree. Different laws apply to different retirees; TRS is the expert on your retirement. Spring ISD cannot advise you on TRS matters. You must verify all your information with TRS.


    Where can I get more information about Retire/Rehire?

    If you are ready to retire, but not ready to stop teaching entirely, you may want to contact the Human Resource Department to discuss the District’s policies on rehiring retirees. TRS has specific rules for qualified individuals interested in this option. Please refer to the following brochure from TRS: Employment After Retirement (PDF).