Spring ISD takes pride in its historically strong Band programs. Our Band programs have earned numerous distinctions and awards for excellence and are recognized throughout the state and nationally as highly effective programs. They are a vibrant part of our schools and the community. Spring ISD offers Band as a fully curricular academic enrichment course. The curriculum is aligned to the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills.
In our district, students typically begin instruction in brass, woodwinds, and percussion in Grade 6. Students who elect Band are encouraged to take advantage of the continuous and sequential band experience through high school and beyond. Instruction for beginners is usually facilitated through homogeneous instrument classes and focuses on developing correct playing fundamentals, ear training, and music literacy. The full “beginner band” comes together for two or more performances during the year. In seventh grade, students are placed in a full band setting.
Middle School Band
- Performances may include fall, winter, and spring concerts, along with the Spring ISD Winter Collaborative and SpringFest, University Interscholastic League contests, and occasional performances around the community.
- Students are encouraged to perform in solo and ensemble performances, festivals, and contests.
- Our middle school bands occasionally travel and perform at various music festivals and events across the area, region, and state. Some middle schools also offer extracurricular opportunities, such as percussion ensemble and jazz band.
High School Band
- Students participate in marching band in the fall semester, which is an extension of the curricular band program. The students receive TEKS-based music instruction during their classes and rehearse the skills they learn outside of normal school hours.
- Marching band performances include all football games, University Interscholastic League competitions, other competitive festivals, and appearances at special events.
- Marching bands in Spring ISD compete at a very high level and perform music with a high degree of complexity, while executing elaborate movements alongside the color guards.
- Concert Bands perform numerous concerts throughout the year and compete in UIL and other competitive festivals. They also participate in the Spring ISD Winter Collaborative and SpringFest events.
- Our high school bands travel and perform at various music festivals and events across the area, region, state, and occasionally outside the state.
- Jazz Ensemble is typically available to students as an additional class option or as an extracurricular opportunity.
- It is common for students to participate in the UIL Solo and Ensemble Contest and/or full orchestra for concerts or contests.
Individual Music Instruction Program
- Band students in grades six through twelve are encouraged to take private lessons to aid in their work toward mastery of their respective instruments.
- Private lessons are optional. Financial aid is available to students in need of assistance to take advantage of this specialized instruction. This aid is provided largely through our band booster organizations.