Spring ISD takes pride in its historically strong Choir programs. Our Choir programs have earned numerous distinctions and awards for excellence and are recognized throughout the state and nationally as highly effective programs. They are a vibrant part of our schools and the community. Spring ISD offers Choir as a fully curricular academic enrichment course. The curriculum is aligned to the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills.
In our district, students typically begin their choral education in Grade 6. Students who elect Choir are encouraged to take advantage of the continuous and sequential choral experience through high school and beyond. By joining choir at an early age, students position themselves to receive guidance through their voice changes from our highly qualified vocal music educators. Instruction for beginners focuses on developing correct singing fundamentals, safe vocal practices, music literacy, ear training, and a love for solo and ensemble singing.
Middle School Choir
- Performances may include fall, winter, and spring concerts, along with the Spring ISD Winter Collaborative and SpringFest, Texas Music Educators Association auditions, University Interscholastic League contests, and occasional performances around the community.
- Students are encouraged to perform in solo and ensemble performances, festivals, and contests.
- Our middle school choirs occasionally travel and perform at various music festivals and events across the area, region, and state.
High School Choir
- Students participate in numerous vocal ensembles of various sizes, including mixed choirs, men’s choirs, women’s choirs, show choirs, and madrigals.
- Students typically participate in extracurricular performances, contests, and festivals as an extension of the curricular choral music program. The students receive TEKS-based music instruction during their classes and demonstrate the knowledge and skills they learn outside of normal school hours.
- Many choir students participate in musical theatre productions, which are typically produced in collaboration with the campus Theatre Arts departments.
- Our high school choirs travel and perform at various music festivals and events across the area, region, state, and sometimes outside the state..
- High school choir students typically participate in the University Interscholastic League Solo and Ensemble contest and the Texas Music Educators Association district auditions, where they have an opportunity to advance to Pre-Area, Area, All-Region, and State.
- Choirs in Spring ISD perform and compete at a very high level and execute a diverse repertoire of music with a high degree of complexity.
Individual Music Instruction Program
- Choir students in grades six through twelve are encouraged to take private lessons to aid in the development of their voices and the successful acquisition of music knowledge and skills.
- Private lessons are optional. Financial aid is available to students in need of assistance to take advantage of this specialized instruction. This aid is provided largely through booster organizations.