Dear Thompson Families,I would like to take a moment to introduce myself. I’m Zakiya Bircher, the school counselor at Thompson Elementary School. I’m originally from Bastrop, Louisiana but moved to Tyler, Texas as a junior in high school. I’ve been lucky enough to have a variety of experiences that led me to my work as a school counselor. I went to Prairie View A&m University for my undergraduate degree in Sociology. Afterwards, I stayed at PVAMU and received my Masters in Counseling. Some of my favorite pastimes include: spending time with my children and husband, shopping, and traveling. I love working at the elementary school level and look forward to continuing for many years to come! Detailed below are the different types of services I am able to provide to students and parents.SERVICES PROVIDED:
- The counseling program at Thompson Elementary School supports students in their academic, career, and personal development through the following services:
- Mrs. Bircher provides classroom guidance to benefit students’ academic skills, career planning, and social/emotional growth.
- Students may attend counseling with groups of students who have common interests or concerns. These groups may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Study/Organizational Skills
- Peer Relations
- Self-Esteem Building
- Changing Families
Individual Planning and Counseling:
- Mrs. Bircher is always available to consult with parents and teachers with concerns regarding students.
Personal and Social Concerns:
- Academic, career, and personal counseling are available to all students at Thompson Elementary School. Sessions are kept confidential unless students disclose that they are being hurt, are hurting someone else, or want to hurt themselves. Please note that school counselors provide brief individual counseling. If in depth therapy is desired, Mrs. Bircher is available to coordinate an appropriate referral.
- Mrs. Bircher is available to meet with students regarding:
- Peer difficulties
- Student crisis and conflicts
- School adjustment concerns
- Academic pressures
- Family concerns
- Information on community services and agencies
- Developing career awareness
If you have questions or concerns please don't hesitate to call or email!Zakiya BircherSchool Counselor
- Educational planning
- Support for special needs