The AVID Program
AVID stands for Advancement Via Individual Determination. It is a college preparatory class that helps students learn the skills necessary to take honors and AP classes in high school with the eventual outcome of attending a four-year college. Currently, 6th, 7th, and 8th grade students participate in the AVID Program at GMS. Mrs. Samantha Cuzzort is the AVID teacher and AVID Site Coordinator.
AVID's mission is to close the achievement gap by preparing all students for college readiness and success in a global society.
- mission-the core purpose of AVID
- College readiness-the skills to not just get to college, but to be able to GRADUATE from college
- global society-we aren't just competing against students in our school or city, but against students around the world
AVID Quick Facts
What AVID is...
- AVID is an acronym that stands for Advancement Via Individual Determination.
- AVID is an in-school academic support program for grades 4-12 that prepares students for college eligibility and success.
- AVID places academically average students in advanced classes.
- AVID levels the playing field for minority, rural, low-income and other students without a college-going tradition in their families.
- AVID is for all students, but it targets those in the academic middle.
- AVID is implemented school-wide and district-wide.
What AVID isn't...
- AVID isn't a remedial program.
- AVID isn't a free ride.
- AVID isn't a niche program.
- AVID isn't a college outreach program.