Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky was a famous Russian composer, that means he wrote music. He is especially famous for the “1812 Overture”. Take a listen to the piece of music to the video on the right. Around minute 3, the music changes and you will probably recognize what you are hearing. This piece of music is usually played at Fourth of July celebrations in the United States.
- Take out a sheet of notebook paper. Write your name, date, and grade on the first three lines. Title your paper Russian Music. Skip a line and write #1.
- After listening, list of three reasons why you think this piece of music is one of the most common pieces of music played at our Independence Day celebrations.
- After you write your list on your paper, draw a picture of what you enjoy the most about Fourth of July. This link can help you learn to draw fireworks if that is something that you love about Fourth of July. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcEQhC0ullk
Igor Stravinsky was another Russian composer who was well known for bringing classical music into the 20th century. In fact, in 1940, Disney chose his piece “Rite of Spring” for a part of the movie Fantasia? Have you seen the movie?
Check out the video on the right for a clip of the movie and the music.
- It’s pretty amazing how the music fits so perfectly with the music. Think of a song from your favorite movie. Locate the last entry on your paper. Skip a line and write #2.
- Write a short paragraph explaining why the song is a great fit for the movie.
|Don’t forget to place this completed activity/product into the pocket of your white Journey into Reading envelope.|