Patterned Matryoshka Dolls
Matryoshka Dolls are sometimes called Nesting Dolls because they range in size from very small to very large, and each doll can be hidden inside the next one. They are handcrafted by Russian folk artists and often feature a woman wearing a traditional Russian dress and scarf. Many dolls seen today can carry many themes ranging from political leaders to cartoon characters.
Watch the video to see what real Matryoshka Dolls look like.
Now that you have seen the real Matryoshka Dolls, follow the link below for a lesson on how to make a similar project at home. Don’t worry if you don’t have paint, you can leave that part out!
Take a picture of yourself with your Matryoshka Dolls. This will be your artifact.
Faberge Eggs are really fancy eggs that were created by Peter Carl Faberge, a famous Russian artist and goldsmith. He was the goldsmith to the Russian Imperial Court from 1885 to 1916.
Follow the link below to learn how to create your own blown egg in the style of the Faberge Eggs.
To paint and decorate the eggs:
To hollow the eggs:
#1: How to Hollow Your Eggs
- First you need to empty out the egg white and yolk inside of each egg. This will leave you with an empty eggshell to decorate.
- By hollowing the eggs, you’ll be able to save your eggs forever and not have to worry about your egg being perishable.
- Now that your eggs are empty, gently rinse them out, dry them off, and prepare them for decorating.
- Gather your supplies needed to hollow the eggs.
#2: Prepare Your Eggs for Decorating
- Gather your empty eggs and bamboo skewers. The bamboo skewers are a great way to hold your delicate egg and easily decorate all sides.
- Since your egg has two holes (one on each end), insert the pointed end of a skewer into the bottom hole of the egg and guide it through the top hole as well. If the top hole is small enough, the egg will sit nicely on the top of the skewer and not slide down.
- Wrap a small rubber band tightly on the skewer about 1/3 of the way down. Insert the skewer into the bottom of the egg and the egg will sit on the rubber band. Add another rubber band above the egg and slide down to secure the egg.
#3: Find a Fabergé Egg That Inspires You
- Choose an authentic Fabergé egg that inspires you or create a unique design of your own.
#4: Time to Paint and Decorate Your Egg
- Gather your painting and decorating supplies.
- First, choose a color to use as your base color and mix your paint.
- While the paint is still wet, lightly sprinkle glitter into your paint to create a shimmering egg.
- Using your ribbon, beads, and glitter glue, apply your decorations to your egg.
- When using craft glue to apply your ribbon, it’s best to let the glue dry a little so it’s very tacky before you apply the ribbon. This will help the ribbon adhere to the egg. Allow your eggs to dry by placing your skewers in a small vase.
- Take a picture of yourself with your Fabergé egg. This will be your artifact.
If you need some inspiration, take a look at the link below to see the ten most expensive Faberge Eggs in the entire world.
|Don’t forget to place this completed activity/product into the pocket of your white Journey into Reading envelope.|
Donec venenatis vulputate lorem. Nullam tincidunt adipiscing enim. Donec mi odio, faucibus at, scelerisque quis, convallis in, nisi. Donec vitae sapien ut libero venenatis faucibus. Suspendisse nisl elit, rhoncus eget, elementum ac, condimentum eget, diam.
Donec id justo. Ut varius tincidunt libero. Nunc nonummy metus. Nunc egestas, augue at pellentesque laoreet, felis eros vehicula leo, at malesuada velit leo quis pede. Curabitur a felis in nunc fringilla tristique.
Proin viverra, ligula sit amet ultrices semper, ligula arcu tristique sapien, a accumsan nisi mauris ac eros. Phasellus a est. In dui magna, posuere eget, vestibulum et, tempor auctor, justo. Aliquam eu nunc. Donec posuere vulputate arcu.
Sed fringilla mauris sit amet nibh. Nam commodo suscipit quam. Class aptent taciti sociosqu ad litora torquent per conubia nostra, per inceptos hymenaeos. Vivamus laoreet. Praesent porttitor, nulla vitae posuere iaculis, arcu nisl dignissim dolor, a pretium mi sem ut ipsum.
Nam eget dui. Aliquam erat volutpat. Fusce egestas elit eget lorem. Proin viverra, ligula sit amet ultrices semper, ligula arcu tristique sapien, a accumsan nisi mauris ac eros. Curabitur ligula sapien, tincidunt non, euismod vitae, posuere imperdiet, leo.